The Akina SpeedStars (秋名スピードスターズ, Akina Supīdosutāzu) are a Gunma based team. Their home course is Akina Pass. They are an amateur team led by Koichiro Iketani. They are considered to be one of the weakest teams in the Gunma area, due to their lack of proper technique and skills and not even having a confirmed uphill driver. At the beginning of the series there were many members of the SpeedStars, however less and less appear as the series progresses, suggesting that they are either busy or have left the team. Takumi Fujiwara is considered an honorary member of the team (although the Tokyopop version of the manga incorrectly lists him as a true member), as he has battled on behalf of the SpeedStars on several occasions.
The team is named after Speed Star Wheel (now known as SSR Wheel). The the early chapters of the manga the sticker on Iketani's car reads Spirit, suggesting that this may have been the planned name of the team before it was changed.
|Koichiro Iketani||Nissan Silvia K's (S13)||Downhill||Leader|
|Kenji||Nissan 180SX Type II (RPS13)||Downhill||Member|
|Itsuki Takeuchi||Toyota Corolla Levin SR (AE85)||Downhill||Member|
|Mamoru||Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800GSR Turbo (A170)||unknown||Member|
|Shigeru||Toyota Starlet (KP61)||unknown||Member|
- The SpeedStars are the first team shown in Initial D
- The members of the SpeedStars (Iketani, Itsuki and Kenji) reappear in MF Ghost (the sequel to Initial D). In this story the trio repeats a similar role that had in Initial D but with several differences:
- The trio still live in Shibukawa but are no longer street racers, suggesting that the team disbanded at some point after Initial D.
- Itsuki and Kenji are both married and have children; this shows that they both managed to find a girlfriend after the conclusion of Initial D.
- Iketani became the owner of the gas station replacing Yuichi. He is still single, and is balding.