The impromptu battle between Takumi Fujiwara and Keisuke Takahashi is the first battle in Initial D.
Prior to the Battle
Keisuke Takahashi and the remaining RedSuns on Mt. Akina decide to head back to Akagi. Keisuke easily leaves his teammates behind, eventually he notices headlights in his rear-view mirror, which he believes belong to a member of his team.
During the Battle
During his delivery run, Takumi catches up to Keisuke, who thinks the Eight-Six is an MR2 or a 180. Takumi attempts to overtake however Keisuke speeds up and they both enter the corner. Keisuke realises he's up against an 86 and becomes annoyed that a car that old is able to keep up with his FD. Takumi keeps up with Keisuke in the corners and eventually overtakes and performs an Inertia Drift. Keisuke oversteers into the corner due to the shock, skidding to a halt.
After the Battle
Keisuke decides to get his revenge on the 86, he spends the next few nights up on Mt. Akina hoping to run into him again. He eventually gets his chance when Takumi comes to race for the Akina SpeedStars.
- In the First Stage anime, the scene where this race occurs is apparently most famous for a meme where Keisuke would utter out "NANI?! Kansei dorifto?!" (lit. WHAT?! Inertia drift?!, English TV: What the hell? Inertia drift?) upon being overtaken by Takumi performing such drift on a shallow left-hand corner.
- The events leading up to this battle is different in the Legend trilogy when compared to Manga and First Stage.
- In the Manga and First Stage Keisuke was returning home after the Akagi RedSuns meet up with Akina SpeedStars in Mt Akina when the battle happened.
- Meanwhile in Legend 1, Iketani was driving home late from Mt Akina when he suddenly encountered the impromptu battle.
- Because this battle happened right at the beginning of the movie, the meetup of RedSuns with SpeedStars happened after the impromptu battle with Takumi, which was directly opposite to how it happened in the Manga and the anime.
- This is the only impromptu battle to be featured in Battle Stage.